100% raw improves assimilation?

achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

For any of you out there who are 100% raw, do you find it improves assilimation over time? I’m still having a little trouble maintaining my weight. I need about 2600 calories at 85% raw to maintain my weight.

I’m going to Patagona, AZ at the end of the month for the Vegan and Live Food Mastery program at Tree of Life, and I will be 100% raw for a month. When I get back, I don’t want to yo-yo back and forth, so I intend to stay 100% raw.

Any info on your experiences would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Wow, I’m envious of your opportunity! I eat less food when eating raw than I do when eating cooked food, because I get what I need (vitamins, minerals, etc.) in smaller amounts of food. I have been eating high-raw for about 3 years now. Greens seem to give me a lot of what I need nutritionally and nuts, oils, avocados, etc. help to give me the more substantial calories – I have to eat a lot, but definitely less on raw after the first year or so. I would expect that the amount of time it takes to decrease food consumption probably depends on how nutritionally depleted you are/were before raw, as well as the nutritional value of the raw foods you eat. I also haven’t checked my calorie consumption for a long time, so I’m not sure how it has changed exactly; it just seems that I used to always be starving, and now I don’t feel that way very often.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Thanks for the info! I’m going for it. Even if 100% raw doesn’t work out, the effort is what counts.

Yes, I got the e-mail offering 10 spots for the program a couple weeks ago, and I jumped at the opportunity! :)

• i have to apologize cos people are gonna get very tired of me soon, but i have to point it out

if you need 2600 calories (85 % raw) to maintain your weight ( assuming you want to do this), then you’ll need the same amount of calories raw to maintain your weight

you will initially lose water weight…as you become cleaner at 100 % your body will ditch the water it uses to dilute/suspend your toxins

there is a lot of confusion about fuel and vitamins/minerals etc…....a lot of raw foodists say that they can eat very little and still get all the vitamins , minerals they need…well, to an extent this is true…..but that doesn’t cover fuel…..

fuel is to the body as fuel is to a car….although the body(unlike a car) will not grind to a halt instantly when fuel expires, it resorts to burning fat as a fuel source….this is very inefficient and not sustainable…..many long-term raw foodists cave in to cravings eventually due to long term calorie defecit

eating nuts, avocados and other fats (even these raw fats ) put great strain on the body as it tries to break down these fatty substances into sugars that fuel every cell of the body….these sugars are in abundance in raw, calorie dense fruit

there is a tendancy for people to work towards decreasing food/fuel consumption….it doesn’t make sense….if there need be a goal then eat what the body needs….no more, no less

you seem to already know your bmr…as i said earlier this is a constant (save for variations either way for exercise)....raw or cooked, this is still what your body will burn per day…...work towards achieving it…..think of it like this….if it’s 200 miles from a-b and your vehicle does x amount to the gallon…..you will only get there by putting in the correct amount of fuel

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Oh, and el-bo, diet coke has 0 calories, yet it makes you gain weight…what’s your explanation?

• well let’s forget for a moment that this has nothing to do with raw nutrition 8-)

let’s first take your extreme example and make it more so…..

if you drink diet coke all day long with nothing else, not only will you not gain weight but very soon you will die

right, now seriously

there is an issue with the insulin spikes caused by the aspartame/sweetener chemicals and this may inhibit fat loss

but the main reason is that it drastically changes brain chemistry and induces over-eating…the diet coke itself not contributing to weight gain, but the additional food cravings

a better choice of no calorie drink would be water…..just like diet coke….zero calories, but no side effects (not negative ones, anyway)

did i pass….. 8-)

laterz pataterz

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Good job :). That is right on.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

el-bo: Thanks for the info, I will see what happens when I take the plunge. I know some raw foodists have gotten by fine with less food over time, but they have had to obtain their nutrients from “subtle” sources (like air). Harder to do if you live in a polluted urban environment. Anyway, this is where the spiritual element of being raw comes into play. :)