80/10/10 question

nixienixie Raw Jr. Leader

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but when eating this way is Graham saying that as long as you eat fruits and vegetables the 10% fat and 10% protein pretty much fall into place provided you get your calories in? I was having such a hard time with this book for about the first 140 pages because I thought there is no way I am going to calculate all this. I could understand counting calories to make sure you eat enough but then the 10/10 on top of that...I was thinking FORGET IT, I can't believe I bought this book! Then I got to the page where he calculated a salad (1 head of lettuce, 2 cucumbers and 3 large tomatoes=260 calories, 22 Fat Calories, %Fat 9%). After seeing that I thought wait a minutes, I'm really just counting calories? I mean basically the guy shunned off oils nuts, seeds, avocado etc. (oh and I almost died when he squashed apple cider vinegar-not that it's fat) so I'm really under the impression he's saying don't bother eating fat and protein to try to figure out 10/10 because you automatically get it (or damn near close to it) just by eating fruits and vegetables...am I correct here? I mean clearly I am going to eat some fats otherwise I will disappear but am I getting the gist of this book?

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Yes, you will be taking in fat by just eating fruits and veggies alone (usually between 3-5% of total calories) without including any overt fats like avocados, nuts and seeds. 80/10/10 does not exclude overt fats, it simply limits them because average fat intake should not exceed 10% of total calories.

Eating 80/10/10 is super simple: Just eat as much fruit as you want for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, followed by as many greens and non-sweet fruits you want and limited quantities of if desired.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 10 bananas

Lunch: 9 bananas

Dinner: 6 ataulfo mangoes, 1/2 English cucumber, 2 medium tomatoes

Calories: 2666 (92% carbs/5% protein/3% fat)

Hope that helps,

Swayze

www.fitonraw.com

• nixienixie Raw Jr. Leader

Thanks swayze, I was sooooo getting ready to toss this book. Definitely wasn't caring that much to go ahead and do all that caluclating...schwewwww...I'm a happy camper now.

Do you remember how long it took before you could actually eat all that. There is no way I'm going to be getting enough calories when I start. My stomach can't handle all that just yet.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

nixie,

it took me a few months to be able to eat such large quantities of fruit. i could eat maybe 3 bananas at a time and now eating 10 is just perfect and filling.

here's what i ate yesterday:

pre-workout: smoothie of 2 bananas and 6 dates

post-workout- smoothie of 6 oz blackberries, 1 mango, and 8 bananas

later in the day food- zucchini pasta with marinara sauce

last meal- 1 watermelon

this was really filling and i couldn't imagine eating more. i don't know the exact ratios or calories but i had no overt fats so it's definitely close to 811. you don't need to measure your ratios that closely every day or anything. it's about the overall ratio for the week and just feeling good.

Awesome thanks joannabanana, a few months is very reassuring. I wouldn't want to eat just to eat to get the calories...that's not good. I'm sure I'll be undereating but I guess everyone goes through that. I'll have to try that banana/date smoothie, sounds delish!

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

What is Dougs reasoning behind limiting fat out of interest i havent managed to read his book?

Cheers

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

You don't start by eating 10 bananas in one sitting. You start slow, eat 2-4 bananas for breakfast, 2-4 a few hours later for a snack, 2-4 bananas for lunch, followed by another snack. It will seem like you are constantly eating (which at first you are) but after a few weeks to months, you WILL be able to eat 2-3 meals a day with all the calories your body requires.

• hikurohikuro Raw Newbie

I believe his main reasoning is that too much fat in the blood impedes the movement of sugar out of the bloodstream.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

For the record, even Doug Graham recommends eating soaked nuts and seeds. And avocados. Just not to excess--"excess," of course, being up for speculation.

The primary reason for limited fat intake is that excess fat affects sugar assimilation, leading to prolonged high blood sugar levels.

Swayze

www.fitonraw.com

Ok, so I'm still reading along and just realized, food combining really isn't much of an issue here is it unless you're eating a meal with nuts, seeds, avocado etc. such that your next meal you wait longer to eat if it's fruit so it doesn't ferment in your stomach? When I read the Raw Detox Diet fruit was a big issue and was best on an empty stomach otherwise make sure you wait about 4 hours. Are you all doing this or are you not concerned with what's in the next meal?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Well, different fruits have different digestion times. For example, melons are vastly different from bananas, etc.

superfood2...so I should check into that then? I thought fruit left the stomach in a half hour except the banana which is more like 45 minutes.

Anyone know of a website that has this type of information?

nixie, the food combinations you have to worry about with fruit are 1) starch and acid and 2) melon with other fruits. Avoid eating bananas with citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruit and eat melons like cantaloupe and watermelon by themselves.

Swayze

www.fitonraw.com

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

I don't see anything wrong with eating to try to get the calories.

People eat to lose weight on the SAD diet, and you need to make sure you get your calories on a raw diet that is low in fats. Your taking in way more volume, and anybody coming from a SAD diet will not be used to this.

It takes time for the stomach to stretch and your system to allow and adjust to a high intake of fruit.

I struggle with calories and failed at this diet the first time.

Now I am vegan, I eat a high amount of raw foods every day.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

swayze,

whats wrong with mixing citrus and bananas???

I've done it and felt great!!!

Both are alkaline, so why would it cause a problem??

How about mixing them in a blender, then that would make them easier to digest.

Some people can digest starch and acid just fine, but others have minor problems. My favorite smoothie in my early raw days was a combination of bananas, blueberries, and oranges. It would give me indigestion now.

Swayze

www.fitonraw.com