80/10/10 vs. Fruitarianism

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I was wondering what the difference was between the two, since they both include mostly fruit for meals. I know that in the 80/10/10 diet you add greens as well. Since many vegetables are actually fruit, like cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchinis, peppers, you can also eat them as a fruitarian. I guess I'm just a little confused.

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

The only differences I've noticed are the greens and the small fat intake like tahini or hemp seeds.

• Fruitarians ONLY eat fruit. The 80/10/10 uses fruit as it's main source of calories (because greens and such have VERY low calorie content. As far as by amount- going by the 80/10/10 you can still eat a large amount of greens. It's just that you are not getting most of your calories from fat (nuts, avocadoes, olives, seeds). It's the proportion by calories that counts- not the actual bulk amount (if that makes any sense). I've been trying to stay more towards the 80/10/10 instead of the high fat way lately. (I'm not 100%raw diet)- and even when I do (those days that are 100%) I usually have one to two very large salads. Don't know if any of this helps:-(

Strict fruitarianism has a pretty high rate of failure and health problems from what I've seen on the internet.

Dr. Graham's 80/10/10 also focuses on getting out in the sunshine each day, getting enough sleep, and exercise. It seems that the high fruit gets all the attention though.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

"Dr. Graham's 80/10/10 also focuses on getting out in the sunshine each day, getting enough sleep, and exercise. It seems that the high fruit gets all the attention though."

Yes, many people fail to notice this about the high fruit, low fat raw vegan diet. They just focus on the amount fruit and how "strict" eating that way is. They never mention how diet is seen as just one facet of health and how truly well-rounded this makes the program.

Personally, I would much rather follow a diet that lets me eat as much as I want instead of want that fosters calorie restriction. :)

Swayze

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I also would rather eat as much as I want, not binge though, but just eat when I am hungry. Having had a history of eating disorders I am trying to stay away from restriction diets and focus more on how my body feels. I try not to count calories because it was a major problems with me before that would lead to a huge amount of anxiety. So in terms of 80/10/10, I don't really calculate everything, so I don't know what my ratio would be. But my diet consists mostly of fruit, some greens that I put in my smoothies and salads, and usually either 1/4 avocado or 1 Tbsp almond butter a day for my fats.

I also exercise everyday, most often outdoors, so that includes my daily requirements for sun exposure as well!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

AVL, you're doing awesome!!!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Thanks superfood2! I think that I'm getting the hand of it. I was at my mom's all afternoon today (which is a huge trigger to eat "junk food") and I didn't even eat anything cooked. All the crackers, flatbreads, bagels, cheese, etc. were right there in front of me, but when I felt hungry and wanted to eat some of it, I just grabbed an orange and an apple and I was fine after that. That hasn't happened in a really long time.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

It feels good to naturally desire healthy food!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

You bet!

Sounds like you are doing great, AVL. :)

I also struggled with binge eating (and purging, unfortunately) and was not able to kick it until I quit focusing on calorie consumption and weight loss. I had to be okay with just eating as much fruit as I wanted and not feel guilty about it. I had to be okay with how long my body took to release weight and not try to rush it by under-eating.

I also had to tackle my emotional ties to food, which turned out to be nothing more than boredom. When I got bored, I thought about food. Once I thought about food, there was no going back. Knowing that boredom led to binging meant that if I kept the restlessness from occurring in the first place, I could stop the binging.

And it worked. :)

Swayze

• Hi Swayze, I'm curious to hear what you did to keep the boredom/restlessness at bay! Feel like sharing?

osoniye, no problem! I simply started making daily to-do lists. I made sure that everything I needed to do for the day was on the schedule. Then I could fill the rest of my day with things that I enjoyed doing...playing out doors, reading, watching movies, spending way too much time on raw forums... ;)

I still make a daily schedule, every night before I get ready for bed. I even have a weekly, monthly, and yearly schedule with all of my important goals. Let me tell you, my productivity has shot through the roof!

Even if you don't struggle with boredom, I highly recommend a to-do list.

Swayze