Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Becoming 100% raw vegan

NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

I am just starting out on this journey and pacing myself rather slowly so I can work my way up to 100%. I’ve been a vegetarian most of my life and recently switched last week to vegan. I’m just now getting into raw foods. I’m finding that I really do not miss much of what I used to eat however there is one thing I do miss and that is cheese. I don’t know why I crave it sometimes either. I’ve been eating more and more raw and so far it has been going well but sometimes I feel like I’m struggling with my craving for cheese. How do I get over this hurdle?

I’m curious….

1. How long did it take for you to become 100% raw vegan?

2. How do you deal with other members in your household that have completely different eating habits? My DH is a huge pizza, meat and potatoes kind of guy.

Comments

• Cheese actualy has a drug in it that makes it addictive. Your not addicted to the cheese, its the drug. It mirrors many of the addictive drugs out on the streets. Health Conscience Doctos have done tests where they put people who crave cheese in front on plates of cheese, and let them eat. Then they give me a drug blocker (like a shot a doctor would give someone to help break the addiction/high from certain drugs), and they would stop eating cause they didtn crave it anymore.

Good luck!

• why not make your own young raw milk cheeses? Though if your goal is 100% raw vegan I suppose you’d be more interested in mock raw nut cheeses.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Hi Nuttgirl: Before I went vegan, I was the queen of cheese plates and missed them quite a bit at first. Then, I started making plates with avocado slices, raw hummus, olives and raw crackers. It helped quite a bit and I don’t find myself craving cheese anymore.

• kandace, what a great idea! I don’t even know why I’ve stopped using avocados…I think because they’ve been overpriced and very unripe in stores here. But you just reminded me of this glorious fruit! That’s a much better cheese replacement than nuts, I think. Although pine nuts are also fabulous in helping with the cheese cravings. I loved Alissa Cohen’s warm pesto stuffed mushrooms and her Mrs. Ackerly’s pesto butter recipe in her book, and both used pine nuts (soo creamy)! Must make note to self- Start buying avocados!!!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Nut cheese, especially almond is tastier than cheese I think. And you can even dehydrate raw cheese to make cheese squares and things.

Took me a year of being high raw to get to 100% raw mainly coz I was unwittingly eating things I thought were raw but weren’t. I found that as I cut out these suspect items it got easier and easier. 99%raw and I got cooked food cravings 100% raw no cooked food cravings. It is much easier th more raw you are. Here’s a couple of links that might be of interest to you:http://www.purelyraw.com/deadfoodlist.htm http://www.purelyraw.com/stayingpure.htm

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I don’t crave cheese, but I always try to find ethic dishes with lots of flavor… and I also like to try different spreads.