Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Best Tip For Staying 100% Raw

Hey everyone,

I've been having a lot of trouble staying 100% raw... I can only do it for a few days before I break down and eat popcorn or something. Usually it's cooked starch with salt, like potatoes, quinoa, popcorn. I feel awful after I eat that stuff, because I don't stop until I'm totally full. It's like when I was smoking cigarettes- I'd smoke one and be like, "Emily that was SO gross," and get a headache and a sore throat and swear I wouldn't smoke again, until the next day and I would have another cigarette. But after eating mostly raw for a few months I totally quit smoking, as well as quit dairy and wheat and caffeine. So, what do I need to do to overcome this final hurdle? What is your best tip, trick, or device to help you stay 100%?

Thanks!

Emily

Comments

• When I'm craving something cooked, I eat a bunch of fruit. That usually fills me up so the cravings go away. If they are still there, I go do something that keeps me from eating, like a shower or yardwork. I work at a health food store, so organic junk food surrounds me. It really stinks sometimes. Just keep yourself full of fruit. Sometimes I just eat an avocado with a sprinkle of salt and pepper if I need something creamy. I have to say, when I break raw, it is also usually for bread or potatoes, too, so I feel ya!

• thats how i felt... i ate noodles after 2 weeks and guess what i felt so sick... i really need to know how to kill cravings. it is hard to carry smoothies to work...and i dont like eating....

and i also breakness for pizza :( what should i do

• I've been bringing my smoothies to work every day. I put them into quart-sized mason jars and stick 'em in the fridge. I get a lot of comments at lunch when all I have is a green smoothie... At work I'm usually fine though, since I'm so busy. But as soon as I get home I get the munchies really bad. The only thing that keeps me satisfied is if I add cooked garbanzo beans to my salads, but I want to go 100% raw and haven't found a replacement for them yet.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

lilburger, i used to love adding beans to my salads but now i use guacamole or zucchini hummus. both fill me up and taste awesome.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

either your calories are too low or there is an emotional issue that you used to cover up by eating.

cooked foods are addictive, mentally and physically. when we eat raw, the physical addiction isnt being fed, but the mental addiction is still going in our mind. work at addressing the issues that cause you to eat cooked. also, our bodies are actually pretty toxic and you may be experiencing detox symptoms months or even years after going raw.

it just takes time, keep at it and you will get there eventually! this is a lifelong committment :)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Okay, this isn't an easy situation but basically what will kill your cravings and 'munchies' for good is just letting the cravings come and act like you're doing a cleanse. I swear, in three weeks you won't want that stuff. but you just have to buckle down. There isn't always going to be a replacement for things we crave and if there was would you really want to give it to your body? That means that you'll always be held by the shackles of those foods.....generally junk foods.

I suggest just eating tons of fruit, green smoothies and salads for a solid three weeks. Don't let anything sway your focus. treat it like a cleans or a fast. That way you're in the mindset that you know what you're up against and you won't fail.

I know you can do this!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I have a different take on this--consider looking at what traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) has to say about warming and cooling foods. Starch is warming, and fruit and greens are (generally) cooling. You may need more balance in your raw diet. I think that doing all fruit, green smoothies, and salad will probably make your cravings worse.

There's a great testimonial here about how one person handled cravings: http://radicalhealth.com/raw-food-diet/people/favor-david.html#2days

I think this is dead on. You could try eating more warming raw foods like onions, garlic, peppers, and ginger, and see if your cravings are diminished. Most importantly, don't beat yourself up for "slipping," you can take all the time you need to transition. I really like take lulushka's advice.

PS Once I decided to go raw over three years ago, I haven't looked back.

• thanks all! I'm going to try a combination of advice. I definitely have to eat more raw food during the day, so I don't give up around 4:00 cause I"m hungry. Also, I definitely need to "just say no' to some foods. I have an emotional addiction to salty, cooked carbs that needs to be overcome. And I"m going to work on eating more "Warm" foods as well, since I don't eat many of those.

We'll see how this goes...