I am very curious to find out if some people stay away from mushrooms, and/or how good-for-you fungus really is. I used to eat plain button mushrooms, and i really like portabello mushrooms.. and there are some exotic ones that are good too. I would appreciate any and all info and replies!!! (:
I love mushrooms! I heard somewhere that the spores exist in all levels of the earth (mesosphere, stratosphere…) and that they just floated here from space. That makes sense to me cause they are so unlike anything else on earth. I eat them for sure. Try the mushroom steak recipe on this site its really good.
I don’t eat it because it taste bad to me raw. I use to be able to tolerate it when I was not a vegan because I put a lot of ranch dressing on it. In Rawsome by Brigitte Mars she states shitake mushrooms are good for you, it too long to type but it states it is high in niacin, b2, b12, c, and d, glutamic acid, germanium, potassium, selenium, zinc and more. When I was a little kid I heard it was poisoness raw and never ate it until I was a teenager and I was still afraid. I haven’t taken the time to research mushrooms and unsure if the all the information is accurate or not. I did see something in my recipe book, I typed it below.
The common white mushroom (Agaricus bispora) that is most widely available in grocery stores is not typically recommended in the raw foods diet. White button mushrooms contain hydrazide, a suspected carcinogen, and have not been found to provide therapeutic benefits.
Bibliography: Rawsome: Bridgette Mars pg. 63.
joesc, do you think/know if that quote pertains to commercial fungus? I wonder if organic fungus is better…
does anyone have a list ranking the different fungi by their nutritional value? i’d love to know which are worth consuming..
i admit it, i miss portabellos! but i’m not sure how a couple other mushrooms would taste raw. maybe marinating is the trick to making them palatable.
I have found that marinating is the key to eating mushrooms raw.
I marinade them like this:
Big bowl of mushrooms, ripped up/chopped up, salt, garlic and some organic/unfiltered olive oil, massage it all together. It isn’t a marinade that they sit in a liquid, at first it just coats the outsides of the mushrooms. After a whille the salt causes them to wilt.
They tatse and look like garlic mushrooms, I eat them on raw bread.
Chris just posted a mushroon recipe which we eat ALL the time.mmmmmm.
I’m pretty addicted to Rhio’s herb encrusted mushroom steak here. A while back, I remember reading some cautions about eating mushrooms. Gabriel Cousens talks a bit about it in one of his books, but I haven’t researched it much so far.
Nagav: I watched a video by Terence McKenna that talked extensively about this idea of mushrooms falling from space. It sounds funny, but he was pretty convincing and entertaining at the same time!
I will see what I can dig up on mushrooms but her that was all the information she mentioned on the mushrooms, she didn’t specify organic or not. I believe it applies to all mushrooms. I will try to research in by next week friday and come back and post the info. I hope I don’t forget. At least shitake mushrooms are good for you. I didn’t type all the information because it was 5 paragraphs. I should research it today because I was thinking about trying the Grilled Steak for stir-frys, BBQ Beef recipe. I may wait until next week.
joesc, i thoroughly appreciate you replying, whenever you end up getting the chance! Thanks very much everyone!!! We’ll get to the bottom of this. (;
I researched Terence Mckenna. His theories are interesting ot say the least. There’s one called “The Stoned Ape Theory”. Accoring to it, magic mushrooms are responsible for the evolution of humans. Try telling that to a narc…
Very interesting guy, McKenna. His theories made a lot of sense. Along the same lines, William S. Burroughs famously claimed that language was a virus from space. His book of interviews called “The Job” is a great read for some real far-out theories like that!
I have been looking for the information and it was hard to find information just pertaining to the common mushroom agaricus bispora that she was speaking of because the only things that kept popping up was mushroom poisoning and how many people were poisoned etc. I didn’t even search for poison. I was able to find some things. I cannot post much because some were not in english, many didn’t have the complete article for free. It makes me wonder why this information isn’t broadcasted. Based on the article from Oxford Journal, hydrazine, and the bits and pieces from the articles that I couldn’t fully see because they charge for it, the popular mushrooms do contain traces of hydrazine which does lead to cancer in rats and humans but not mice. What I couldn’t see is how much of the mushrooms would cost risk and for how long do you have to eat these mushrooms. The hydrazine is found in raw and process mushrooms so no one is safe. I put some mushroom info just in case you want more info on mushrooms. I am still going to try that recipe but I will use the shitake mushroom although I found disturbing information that germanium cause liver failure. I figured I don’t have a chance no matter what I eat. The more I research the more information I realize is being hidden and not broadcasted to the USA that should be. I suggest to live life and die happy even though it may be painful. My conclusion if you like it eat it unless it is wild mushrooms and don’t pick your own.
Great info Joesc!
Some raw foodists won’t eat mushrooms because they grow at night under moonlight, and not under sunlight.
Lots of people forage for wild mushrooms here and they are totally delicious. I think they are a good source of minerals, particularily copper. And they make a good meat substitute…
Re-mushroms causing cancer…if you are raw cancer cannot survive in the body, our immune systems overcome it. Are these studies done on rats,mice and people who are fed cooked foods?
Hey Zoe, I got something interesting in my e-mail. It’s below.
CANCER UPDATE FROM JOHN HOPKINS HOSPITAL, US
Useful Information on one of the deadliest diseases of our time: CANCER
(PLEASE READ AND FORWARD IT TO PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT)
1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion.
When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.
2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than
10 times in a person's lifetime.
3. When the person’s immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.
4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental,
food and lifestyle factors.
5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and including supplements will strengthen the immune system.
6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone
marrow, gastro-intestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver,kidneys, heart, lungs etc.
7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.
8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.
9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.
10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.
11. An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.
CANCER CELLS FEED ON: a. Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off
sugar it cuts off one important food supply
to the cancer cells. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal,Spoonful, etc are made b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus,
especially in the gastro-intestinal tract.
Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off
milk and substituting with unsweetened
soya milk cancer cells are being starved.
c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid
environment. A meat-based diet is acidic
and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken
rather than beef or pork. Meat also
contains livestock antibiotics, growth
hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people
d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and
juice, whole grains,seeds, nuts and a little
fruits help put the body into an alkaline
environment. About 20% can be from
cooked food including beans. Fresh
vegetable juices provide live enzymes that
are easily absorbed and reach down to
cellular levels within 15 minutes to nourish
and enhance growth of healthy cells. To
obtain live enzymes for building healthy
cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice
(most vegetables including bean sprouts)
and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a
day. Enzymes are destroyed at
temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees
e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which
have high caffeine.Green tea is a better
alternative and has cancer-fighting
properties. Water-best to drink purified
water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins
and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled
water is acidic, avoid it.
12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines become putrefied and leads to more toxic buildup.
13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body’s killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.
14. Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence,Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the body’s own killer cells to destroy cancer cells. Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body’s normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.
15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor. Anger,
unforgiveness and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to
relax and enjoy life.
16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.
(PLEASE FORWARD IT TO PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT)
Subject: CANCER UPDATE FROM JOHN HOPKINS HOSPITAL, US – PLEASE READ
1. No plastic containers in micro.
2. No water bottles in freezer.
3. No plastic wrap in microwave.
poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.
Cover food with a paper towel instead.
This is an article that should be sent to
anyone important in your life
“The tragedy in life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goals to reach.”
- Benjamin Mays
Great article Josec thanks for posting it here.
I hope everyone else sees it.
Sorry to disappoint, but that article is a hoax. John Hopkins’ website has a statement.
“HEADLINE: Email Hoax Regarding Cancer
Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center
Office of Public Affairs
EMAIL HOAX REGARDING CANCER
An email falsely attributed to Johns Hopkins describing properties of cancer cells and suggesting prevention strategies has begun circulating the Internet. Johns Hopkins did not publish the email, entitled “Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins,” nor do we endorse its contents. For more information about cancer, please read the information on our web site or visit the National Cancer Institute’s web site at www.cancer.gov.
Another hoax email that has been circulating since 2004 regarding plastic containers, bottles, wrap claiming that heat releases dioxins which cause cancer also was not published by Johns Hopkins. More information.
Thanks for the info.
I dont know whether this John Hopkins thing is a hoax or not but, I do know that I see an iridologist that absolutely agrees that you should never cook anything in the microwave, expecially in plastic. And, I have a grandmother that had hodgkins lymphoma and her cancer (regular) doctor told her not to cook anything in the microwave.
(: good thing i gave my roommate dibs on my microwave when we go our separate ways this fall.
I use my microwave to put my blender & food processor on top of it. :)
In Russia microwaves are banned because of the dangers.
Chris said something interesting on this subject, he wondered “What if opening and closing microwave doors and standing in front of microwaves that are breast height is behind the huge increase in breast cancer since mircowaves came into popular use?”
Food for thought..
Good question Zoe. I have always had a fear of standing in front of the microwave since I was little. Even as an adult I couldn’t do it. I know it’s weird.