Home Page Change?
Home Page Change?
IMHO the best thing about GoneRaw besides the recipes is the forum. How about moving the location of the “Active Discussions” section over to the right where the “Newest Members” section is now. This will make it higher on the page and make room so you could list twice as many of the hottest topics.
I have nothing against the “Newest Member” section, but it does not bring me to the site like the “Active Discussions” do.
What does everyone else think?
Chris~ You had better get back to the US quick! You have been driving on the wrong side of the road for waaaaaaaay to long… I think what you are suggesting is to move the “Active Discussions” to the left (the “other” right) side of the page. LOL
Right! no Left! I mean you’re right, it’s left. LOL
Funnily enought the walking around traffic has been worse than the driving bit. During my first year over here I stepped into moving traffic twice. The last time a man grabbed my collar and pulled me back just as a bus passed at full speed. Whew, that was close.
Didn’t someone teach you look BOTH ways before crossing? LOL Glad you had a “grabby” angel near you when you needed one. ;-)
I think you do have a good point here Chris. We have a bit of a redesign of the home page in the works. I’d like to keep lots of info on there, but get the stuff folks use more easier to reach. What else draws everyone in?
Yeah i agree, it’s the current topics that draws me in, along with the most recent recipes. So I would be all for making the current topics more “viewably friendly” by moving it near the top of the page (which ever side it ends up being on! LOL)
I love that it is so well organized and clean looking.
Somebody sense a little obsessive compulsive in me? LOL!
No but really, it seems great as it is to me.
REALLY like chris’ suggestion.
also, you could put a link for “older discussions” and “start a discussion” near the active discussions. that way you don’t have to scroll back up to the top to find it (i’ve figured it out by now obviously, but i didn’t notice it at first…)
First i want to say i LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE this site! Even if you don’t make any changes, I will still spend 1/2 my life here. . . . well, maybe not half, but a substantial amount of time.
Thank you Ray and Candace. This site is the best.
Here are some things I would improve the site:
- The ability to search members by name, so you don’t have to go through the whole alphabet to find a member. Also, a filter so you could search for things like geographical location, etc.
- If the member pages are more easily searchable, it would be great to have email addresses for each member (with authorization only) so you can easily connect with other members.
- A live chat feature. We can find out who is online, but can’t do anything to connect with those people.
- The ability to sort and filter recipes so that you could include or exclude various ingredients or categories. I would like to avoid looking at all the yummy recipes for desserts in which i am trying not to indulge.
- Add some new categories for things like no/low fat, nut/seed free, and low carb. I know that raw foodists don’t typically pay that much attention to fat or carbs, but I know that some do.
- An automated email (not something you would have to send) sent to members indicating that there are new entries either for a watched topic or recipe. As it is now, you have to keep referring back to the topic or recipe to see if there are new entries. I suspect that some very important questions and/or issues don’t get addressed because it is difficult to know when there is new feedback.
For example, if you submit a recipe and someone reads it a year later and has a question, what would make you look at that recipe to provide an answer? Or if someone corrected a recipe, most members wouldn’t keep going back to the recipe to check to see if there are any changes. If you got an email that said there is a new comment on that recipe you would look at it and respond. I feel badly when I see recipes with unanswered questions.
I know about the RSS feed, but I think this would be better to get emails because you don’t really know if you have seen the entries on the feed unless you go to each one.
- An area on the recipes for “watch recipe.”
- Have a “my recipes,” “my recipe box,” “my watched topics,” “my watched recipes,” and maybe even “my profile” tabs alongside home, recipes, forums, members, and blog. I think it would be easier to navigate with the additional tabs.
- The ability to be able to sort and filter my recipe box.
Again this site is awesome. Keep up the great work!
I just played around with the catagories on the home page and found that there are categories that have recipes in them even though they appear to be grayed out. That one just got by me. I didn’t realize that there was a way to pull them up by catagory.
There was one more thing I left off my list. After you search for a recipe and go to the recipe you have to search again to access the same list. I would like to be able to search and have the original search results available if i want to go to a different recipe. If there is a really long list of recipes and you are near the end you have to go back through the whole list. It would be nice if the recipe that you opened in the search was highlighted when you returned to the home page and you could just go to the next recipe.
Thanks for all of the input, everyone. Ray and I are constantly talking about how to improve Gone Raw.
RCBAlive: One note about categories – these are created by you folks (the people putting in recipes). Whenever you tag a recipe, that tag becomes a category. You can make any additional categories that you’d like. And, any category that shows up on the home page or elsewhere has at least one recipe in it. The darker, larger category titles on the home page mean that there are more recipes in that category.
Hey Candace. Thanks for the explanation. I did play around with categories after my initial post and was pleased to find out that I could search categories. I wasn’t aware that categories were created by the members. How does one create a category?
I think I will create a new topic on using categories and encourage members to use additional ones.
I was wondering if you and Ray might be interested in conducting a survey to determine a ranking system of what features the members would like on the site. This might help you in prioritizing, with the understanding that only you two can determine what is feasible and cost effective. If you are interested, I would be willing to assist in the development of the survey.
I love the live chat idea. A lot of people add their homepage or myspcae address but I find it kind of weird just to e-mail someone at first and just being like “Hey saw you on this website” LOL! I REALLY love this website though and thank you so much to Kandace and Ray for all of their hard work and time spent on making this site what it is!!!
Hey Kandace, sorry for misspelling your name. I just realized it.
I just noticed a Restrict List by Equipment on the home page and was wondering if the same kind of format could be used to restrict major ingredients and categories.