Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is organic herbal tea 100% okay for me to drink all the time?

Butterfly3588Butterfly3588 Raw Newbie

I know that coffee is not really good for me so i am trying to cut that addiction. Odd how it is difficult but i am sure it is the caffeine that has me hooked. Anyway, i am trying to substitute it with another hot beverage that has flavor such as various organic herbal teas and green tea. Does anyone here know if this kind of tea is going to be harsh on my liver or anything?

Comments

• I mostly quite drinking coffee (still have a cup or two a week) and switched to black, green and herbal teas. There is a connection between high consumption of coffee and bladder cancer.

That was my reason for quitting.

I feel good with the teas. I'm not aware of a link between teas and liver problems.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

There are herbs that can be damaging if consumed daily for long periods of time, like pennyroyal and licorice. There are lots of resources for information on herbs; wikipedia is a good starting place to find info about consuming a particular herb. Most packaged tea will also let you know on the package if you should not consume it daily for a long period of time.

Millions of people consume green tea daily. It has caffeine, though of course less than coffee, and offers other health benefits. Even if you want to go caffeine-free, green tea may help make the transition easier.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

100% Herb Teas are fine to drink, but you should rotate and give yourself variety if you consume it several times a day or several days in a row, and are not using it medicinally (just as a precaution, people are sensitive to different things afterall). Usually though, your body will get tired of something as a sign it's had enough of that particular thing. :) Enjoy, mm!

By the way, which herb/s are you drinking (out of curiosity)?

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

I wouldn't worry about it but the truth of it all is that many herbal teas contain caffeine which is a stimulant and simply put stimulants are not good for you but, if these are one of those things that you absolutely need than really just dont worry about it.

• Butterfly3588Butterfly3588 Raw Newbie

Thank you all for your comments, very helpful. To answer your question have_mersey, i have been drinking mostly green tea, i found a "natutally decaffeinated" type but it is not organic. I am a fan of the Traditional Medicinals teas such as the ginger aid, peppermint, smoove move (when i need it) which is senna but the tea bag indicates not to use more than once a week. These are organic, naturally decaffeinated and with some lemon, i am totally satisfied.

Tomorrow will be one week of not drinking coffee and i feel fine. yippee skippee!

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Good for you, butterfly-coffee is such a hard habit to kick!!

• I drink a lot of self mixed teas, e. g. dandelion and nettles or fennel and aniseed.

Sometimes I like these teas: http://www.yogitea.nl/yogitea_gb/home_gb.html

A year ago I drank mostly green tea and coffee (plus herbal teas). I don't feel any negative change due to me leaving out coffee most of the time.

Just another viewpoint: In my acupuncture classes one of my colleagues told me that coffee is said release short burst of the so-called essence. (The essence is kind of a limited energy reservoir which can't be increased endlessly. If it is zero we are supposed to die. Of course this is a very quick explanation of the basic idea)

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Yes. Teas are excellent for you. Teas are not gong to be harsh on your liver or your digestion. Drink up :)

http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/