Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's there on a 80\10\10?

Hi!If there any who’s sticking to such a diet?
Could you share your experience with it?
How do you get over hunger(if there such a problem for you).
Thank you.

Comments

• Hey!

I’ve been transitioning towards 80/10/10 for a while. When I originally went raw, I was eating a lot of fats & dehydrated foods, and have recently tapered my consumption of fat. It wasn’t even a conscious effort at first…I was just craving more sweet fruits & greens, and less fat.

I don’t keep track, but I’d say the current breakdown is basically 80/10/10. I eat tons of whole fruits, and generally drink a green smoothie with fruit and either spinach, kale, or chard in the morning, and another in the afternoon. The only fat I consume is in a salad with some olive oil and some sunflower seeds (usually ever other day)

I feel a lot more balanced this way and don’t find that I’m hungry often. The green smoothies are incredibly filling, and I always have a few pieces fruit in my bag if I go out. I think if you get enough greens and calories, hunger shouldn’t be an issue.

Doug Graham’s book is pretty good, if you haven’t read it yet. Also, its helpful to enter your food intake on some kind of food logging website, so you can get an accurate idea of what your intake percentages are.

• I’ve been 100% raw for over a year. I tried doing the 80/10/10 diet several months ago and just couldn’t stick to it. I felt too deprived on it and was always hungry. I also lost too much weight on it and became seriously underweight….under 100 lbs. When I brought up my feelings on Dr. Grahams board he deleted my messages. Sadly, I found out this was common practice for anyone who had a negative experience with his diet. For me 80/10/10 diet was a way too rigid standard of eating raw and for me not healthy.

I now eat more greens than fruit and have some avocado and olive oil every day and that works very well for me. I am no longer feeling hungry and am not losing weight anymore. My weight is now stable and I feel great.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i have read some interviews with doug graham and listened to his interview at the raw food summit this summer.

i think his diet works well for him. it seems he lives between florida and costa rica (if i understand correctly). a high sugar fruit diet, i believe, is suitable for hot climates where one is sweating a lot under the sun and the fruits are LOCAL. in connecticut, i would be relying on a diet of mainly imported tropical fruits in winter. this doesn’t make sense to me.

HOWEVER, less fat works really well for me. not mixing fats (have avocado OR a nut OR a seed). and only having them at night so they don’t slow me down during the day.

obviously, whole fruits and veggies are optimal.

also, GREENS! are the best for me.

so i agree AND disagree i guess.

• bettebelle – Wow, he deleted your messages! That’s pretty scary.

I haven’t read the book, but try to go low fat—just ground flax seeds & the seeds from the insides of winter squash. Hunger hasn’t been an issue for me, since I added back in 2-3 day old sprouts of rice, wheat, and legumes. I steam these for 10-15 minutes, so it’s not raw (but it’s “living”).

I think that censorship is pretty bad. Sorry he deleted your messages.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Bettebelle and Desenchantee,

I eat pretty much like Pianissima. I tried Doug Grahams approach but found that I was always hungry and COLD! Then again I live outside Philly not FLA or Costa Rica. I’ve read on a few message boards that dissenting views get deleted from Graham’s board. Sorry to hear that was your experience. Frankly anything that sniff’s of cult-ism sends me running in the opposite direction, you know?

• willmizewillmize Raw Newbie

I’ve read 80/10/10 and agree with it’s basic premise that we should eat as clean as possible, but doing that is another story. My main issue when I tried it was getting enough calories. That and damn, I got very tired of eating all those bananas :)

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I don’t really like to follow anyones style or methods pertaining to eating and other things. I rather be my own guru and let my body tell me what and when to eat. If all I want is avocados, then I will simply eat avocados. The same goes for every other raw fruits and vegetable out there. If it is late at night and I am hungry, I will eat. I will not tell myself that I am not allowed to eat after a certain time because its “bad” for me. I don’t really worry about restricting fat because it can become an obsession. I look at the animals as the wild and see that they do not look at every single detail in the foods that they are consuming. Be your own guru! :)

Lots of Love!
    Vaughn

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I listened to Doug Graham’s interview on the Raw Summit and was impressed enough to buy the book. I read it and followed his plan for a month. I felt like I needed to eat all the time to get enough calories and I wasn’t hungry enough to do so. I get along with less food per meal and fewer meals. I eat bananas, but not so many per day. A three course dinner is too much for me in the volume he recommends. I have lowered my intake of nuts and fats, but there are good benefits in some of the fats that I’m not willing to give up.

• I just finished reading Doug’s book last night..and figured I would start this morning! I’ve been increasingly unhappy with how I’ve been feeling, even at 100 raw. I know I’ve been eating WAY too much fat.. I’ve been gaining weight, my running has been difficult and uninspired, I’ve felt sluggish x%x tired all the time. I’ve lost my crazy good energy and clearness of head!
    According to his book, 811 should “fix” these problems, and I figure I’d give it a go for a couple of months and see… can’t hurt, it’s still RAW! Giving up my couple avo’s a day will be the hardest part.

• Thank you,everyone!
    I didn’t read the book but I understand the principle.
    For me to read a book about any particular diet means to persuade,to urge myself to do what others want,and what they consider to be right.
    But when I tried raw eating,I understood that with this way it will be profitable for me,I will do a favour to myself.And I really felt peaceful,never I blamed myself.
    But unfortunately I didn’t stay this way and give in to many temptations.
    I found that if I eat fruits they make me feel very hungry.
    And only eating raw vegetables(cabbage,carrots) help me to lose weight drastically,because I don’t feel that hungry.And fats ,those in seeds and nuts always made me fat.
    But of course it’s not so simple to eat only raw vegetables.
    And one more thing that worries me is that it’s difficult for me to give up coffee.
    I want to begin from the very Start and to experience this incredible feeling of joy…)))
    Thank you,willmize and humanimal,you really did express my thoughts))