This is my take on raw rice.
I have experimented with other vegetables as well (parsnip, celery, carrots etc) but this has to be my favourite.
It is very easy and tastes fresh. I will give a few ideas for seasoning it but in case serving it with something already spicy I just stick with the basic recipe and do not add anything else.
As you leave it stand it will get a bit soggy as the salt breaks down the cauliflower. If you would like it to be more like your traditional rice I suggest after grating the cauliflower let it sit with some salt for 30 minutes and then squeeze it out before preparing your rice.
1 large cauliflower
3-4 heaped tablespoons of nutritional yeast flakes
Apple cider vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
Pink Himalayan salt
Grate the cauliflower (I use cheesegrater with large holes) and mix it well with the yeast flakes.
Season the mixture with ACV, olive oil and salt to taste.
This tastes quite neutral like this and compliments any spicy curry or dish very well. However, I used to prepare it with some spices added:
- Sweet: use lemon juice instead of ACV if possible and add lemon zest, ground cinnamon and cardamom and some currants to the mixture. You may sweeten it with raw agave nectar or raw honey (or anyting else you like)
- Sweet and sour: mix in raw agave nectar, ground sumac and dried barberries. Add a bit of fresh pineapple if you have some (cut it to very small pieces)
- Italian green: use traditional fresh italian spices like basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary and majoram
- Thai green: add finely chopped cilantro and methi leaves
- Fresh green: add finely chopped dill, parsley and tarragon
- Hungarian: season your cauliflower with paprika (dried and ground Hungarian red pepper), freshly ground black peppercorns (or use savory instead) and ground cumin
Also, if you have any other ideas I would be glad to hear it :)