Classy Kale Crisps
Our favorite version of the ever-present kale chip.
1 bunch kale, juiced (work with pulp) or processed finely
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1 teaspoon whole caraway seeds
1 pinch salt
¾ cup sunflower seeds, soaked 4 hours, strained
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ cup red onion, chopped
1. Rinse sunflower seeds; set them to soak 4 hours. Rinse and strain.
2. a) If you have a centrifugal juicer: juice one bunch of kale. Save juice for yourself. We will work with the pulp that has been ejected into the bulk bin.
b) If you have a Champion or a Twin Gear or some other fancy juicer, your pulp from juicing kale will be so pulverized it will not yield a very good dehydrator treat. Better to simply shred the bunch of kale in your food processor, process until finely minced, then squeeze the excess juice out with your hands.
3. Process together: garlic, onion, sunflower seeds, salt, tomatoes.
4. Pulse in kale.
5. Spread onto dehydrator sheet. Score with a butter-knife into squares if desired.
6. Sprinkle caraway seeds evenly on top of spread out mixture.
7. Dehydrate until dry, about 15 hours, turning over when the first side is dry.