Plum & Vanilla Fool
Plum and vanilla is a match made in heaven…this fool-style, creamy, sweet, delectable dessert is amazing yet, so simple. Two main ingredients, a bit of vanilla and some water…20 minutes and you’re done.
My recipe serves 3 people with enough left over for chef prerogative of licking out the bowl!
Visit my site http://pathlesstrodden.com for more recipes.
1 1/2 cups / 200g / 7oz cashew nuts
5 ripe plums, choose the large variety with deep red skin
1 pod of fresh vanilla
c. 100ml (just under 1/2 cup) of water
Make the parts:
• Empty the cashews into the mini processor
• Split the vanilla pod lengthways using a sharp knife. Open the pod up and peel the sides back to reveal the seeds. Using the knife or a teaspoon scrape the black vanilla seeds into the processor with the cashews.
• Stone and peel one plum, chop it up into small pieces and add to the other ingredients in the mini processor.
• Add 100 ml of water and blend the mixture well, until it’s a smooth paste. Add a little more water if necessary to make the cream a consistency you like. Remember that it will thicken slightly when left to stand.
• Remove the cream from the processor to a bowl. Clean the processor.
• Stone and chop a further 2 plums into small pieces (I leave the skin on these). Put into the processor and blend until you have a smooth sauce. You may need to stop and push the fruit down onto the blades several times.
• Stone and chop the remaining 2 plums into small pieces.
Construct the desserts:
• Place half of the chopped plums into the bottom of 3 attractive serving glasses.
• Top with about a third of the plum sauce.
• Next, add a layer consisting of about half of the cashew cream, carefully smoothing it out to meet the edge of the serving glasses.
• Start another layer: Place the rest of the chopped plums on top of the cashew cream, and top with another third of the plum sauce.
• Spoon the remaining cashew cream on top of the plums; to make it look like a traditional cream fool, I like to leave it in dollop formation!
• Drizzle the remainder of the plum sauce over the top of the cashew cream.