Chocolate covered strawberries may now be the most popular aphrodisiac food, beating out raw oysters. Duh. But why stop there? Strawberry Ravioli with Cacao Sauce kicks it up a notch and incorporates another sexy duo: whip cream and strawberries. Throw ’em all together you get a sinful threesome, powered by raw vegan ingredients. Rwaarrrr!
Pear Cream Filling:
½ cup cashews, presoaked**
¾ medium bosc pear, or bartlet
1 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp shaved raw cacao butter
2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
1 tsp agave (more or less to taste)
** Soaking cashews for 2-4 hours is recommended but not necessary.
** Pear Cream Filling can be made a day or two in advance.
• To make Pear Cream: In a blender—or Magic Bullet at my house—grind cashews into a flour. Coarsely chop pear. Add it and lemon juice to the cashew flour and blend until smooth. Set aside.
• Prep ingredients and equipment for cacao sauce. By using a double boiler—or your own version—the cacao will melt without exceeding the critical 118 degrees. Ready the shaved cacao on the stove for melting. Do not yet heat.
• Wash strawberries and pat dry. Cut ¼ inch segments that can then be sliced to create a pocket. Depending on the size of your berries you may want to slice them lengthwise or crosswise, or alternate. To utilize the strawberry’s natural heart shape remove the stem with a V cut and slice lengthwise.
• Spoon filling into strawberry ravioli and place directly on a plate. This is a great dish to share.
• Melt cacao butter over low heat. Add cacao powder and stir until dissolved. Add agave, keep stirring. You may want to use more than a teaspoon of sweetener if you’re a milk chocolate fan or your strawberries aren’t sweet. Omit it if you prefer dark chocolate.
• Drizzle desired amount of cacao sauce over ravioli. Serve immediately.