Eggplant and mushrooms in chili, who would have thought? But the combo is actually brilliant, and really different from other raw chilis that I’ve tried. The eggplant and mushrooms soften from marinating, and they absorb the flavor of the sauce. The result is a substantial texture and bursting flavor. The raw corn also adds a nice crunch and color contrast. I am a fan of all chili recipes, but this one is really standout for me.
Make sure you start this early enough to let the vegetables marinate for at least 6 hours. The success of the dish depends upon the softening of the eggplant and mushrooms. I start it at lunchtime and eat it for dinner, but you could also marinate the veggies overnight and have it for lunch.
1 Eggplant, Cut into 1 cm (1/4 inch) dice
5 Swiss brown mushrooms, cut into 1cm (1/4 inch) dice
1 Ear sweetcorn, cut off cob
5 Cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 clove Garlic, minced
¼ Red onion, minced
1 tablespoon Fresh lemon juice, (about 1/2 lemon)
2 tablespoon Olive oil
3 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1 cup Sundried tomatoes, soaked in water to cover
6 Cherry tomatoes, or one regular tomato, diced
¼ cup Olive oil
1 clove Garlic
¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon Cumin
¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
¼ teaspoon Coriander powder
2 teaspoon fresh oregano, or 1/2 tsp dried
1. In a large container with a lid, mix the diced eggplant, mushrooms, sweetcorn, cherry tomatoes, garlic and onion.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Pour over diced vegetables and toss to coat.
3. Let the vegetables marinate at room temperature for at least 6 hours (longer is okay).
4. Just before serving, combine the sundried tomatoes, half of the soaking liquid, the cherry tomatoes or chopped tomato, olive oil, garlic and spices in a food processor. Process until you achieve a thick sauce, adding more soaking liquid if necessary.
5. Toss the sauce with the marinated vegetables and serve.
*Note: You could substitute 1-2 tsp of a good chili powder spice blend for the cumin, coriander and cinnamon, or experiment with other spices if you like. I think a dash of chipotle would be lovely, though it’s not a raw ingredient.