Last days banana-cream pie
What does a pregnant woman do when her “Nesting Urge” kicks in? She makes a pie, of course!
The credit for this recipe goes to Zoe and the Boutenko kids.. Thanks for the inspiration!
Zoe’s recipe calls for berry jam, however, berries are impossible to get this time of year in Kurdistan so I subbed bananas instead (Hey I love bananas!) all of my non-raw-in-laws LOVED this pie so that says a lot right there.
Sorry there’s no pic, it was accidentally deleted before I could post this. Also just a note: the day I made this our electricity was just awful! And my blender wasn’t working on the weak current so I had to make this all by food processor in batches. It still came out great but I’m listing the recipe the way it was intended to be made, but just FYI you CAN make this without a blender and it still tastes great!
3 cup Fresh Walnuts, Shelled and broken into peices
3½ cup Fresh Dates, Pitted
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
5 Bananas, Or less
1 cup Water
1 tablespoon Olive oil
Juice of one lemon, Freshly squeezed
- In food processor add 2 cups walnuts and cinnamon, process until fine.
- Add oil and 1 cup dates and blend until you have a doughy-sticky ball
- Press crust into bottom of pan (I TOTALLY recommend a cake pan with a removable bottom! I didn’t use one and some of my pieces fell apart when serving!)
- In blender add remaining walnuts and dates, lemon juice, water and 3 of the bananas.
- Blend together until smooth – you will have a beautiful, thick cream
- I sliced one banana and placed pieces on the crust before I poured the cream on, you can use half a banana if you’re not a huge fan of them like me.
- Pour cream over banana slices and smooth.
- Decorate the top with the last banana/other half and sprinkle cinnamon on the very top.
- Place in freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.