Submitted by Noni_Pixie on October 3, 2010 - 12:37am
i'm addicted! this is so easy and delicious! all of my friends can't get enough. and i cna't believe i haven't been doing this my entire life!!
apple cider vinegar
pickling spice of your choices ( optional ) i used hot pepper, dill, and peppercorns
1. place spices in bottom of mason jar
2. slice cucumbers how you choose and SHOVE into mason jar. no need to be polite about it, it less air in there the better. it's okay if they snap or bruise a little. leave an inch from top of jar.
3. create a brine of 1/2 acv and 1/2 water and pour into jar. i like to take a knife and go around the sides of the jar to release any air bubbles that might be hiding. this is probably not needed tho.
4. this is the only somewhat sorta hard step. now for the next 24-48 the mixture is going to be sitting on your counter at room temperature fermenting. i just put a cheesecloth on top so it can breathe. the only thing you have to do is keep the pickles from rising above the water. if that happens that's when a serious problem could occur now this is so easily treatable. i take a cabbage leaf and place it as a layer on top of the cucumbers, i then place marbles on top to use as a weight to make sure to water is always above the marbles. now some people use bags of water, or cabbage and rocks. you can get creative. jsut make sure the pickles stay submerged. now you want to check on it twice a day for the next 24-48 hours. the water has a tendency to leak out and lower the level. i simply add water and a splash of acv to the top just to make sure.
5. with cucumbers i usually wait a day and a half. i then put a lid on them and put them in my fridge. i'm pretty sure they'll last a few months to a year in there. but they taste so amazing that i don't think any of them have lasted for more than a few days. ENJOY!!!