Savory Oat Rice
We have finally found a way to make raw rice! The secret is not to use rice at all, but raw, soaked oat groats. You can buy the raw oat groats in bulk or bagged packaging. They look just like brown rice. Soak them for 24 hours and follow the recipe! It is amazing how much this tastes like a rice dish, and satisfies just like rice too. However, the germinated oats give you a ton of energy, which of course cooked rice does not. The men in my family love this recipe as it is high in protein!
1 c oat groats
1 c button mushrooms, diced
3 tbs olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp sea salt
Savory herbs (thyme, marjoram, sage, or oregano, etc..)
1 Hass avocado
1. Soak oat groats for as little as 24 hours and up to 48 hours. The grains become softer the longer you soak them.
2. Marinate mushrooms for 24 hours in garlic and 2 tbs. olive oil
3. Drain oats, rinse, place in bowl, and add the marinated mushrooms
4. Add 1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt, 1 tsp olive oil and savory herbs
5. Let sit for 1 to 3 hours
6. Add 1 Hass avocado, cubed
7. Stir and serve